- Boo Results, Rx, Goals, notes, food, exercise ... ...
- Susan Results, Rx, Goals, Notes ... and rewards/mo...
- Know Your Labels
- Complementary Medicine/Healing and Supplements
- Diabetes Self Care: Feet, Oral Health, Alcohol, S...
- Know Your Numbers and NICE advice
- Symptoms - Diabetes Type II, Hyperglycaemia, Hypog...
- Stress and Depression
- The DASH diet, the Book(s) ... and food facts/list...
- Legal, Financial, Travel
Know Your Numbers and NICE advice
Click here to convert British blood glucose results (mmol/L) into American (mg/dl)
Blood Glucose before meals should be:
between 4 - 7 mmol/L (UK guidance)
between 5 - 7.2 (USA guidance)
Blood Glucose two hours after eating should be:
<8.5 mmol/L (UK guidance)
<10 mmol/L (USA guidance)
HbA1c test results should be <6.5%
Blood Pressure should be 130/80 (or less)
Cholesterol should be between 3.5 - 4 mmol/L
LDL (Bad) Cholesterol should be 1.7mmol/L (or less)
HDL (Good) Cholesterol should be >1.2mmol/L (women)
Diabetic Living Online - "Know Your Numbers" (click to download)
Diabetic Living Online - "Tips to naturally lower your blood sugars" (click to view)
Diabetic Living Online - "How to lower blood sugar" (click to download)
avoid pursuing highly intensive maintenance to HbA1c levels at less than 6.5% (average glucose over 8 weeks), instead a result of 7% is satisfactory.
Rx recommended by NICE:
metformin (Glucophage) - increases sensitivity of insulin
AND if required:
amaryl (sulfonylureas) - stimulates production of insulin and can be a risk of hypo's
OR if required:
glitazones (Avandia, Actos, Arandamet) - reduces insulin resistance in fat tissue, liver and muscles (can be a risk of osteoporosis, heart problems, liver problems)