Sunday, June 19, 2011

MyPlate for Diabetes on Livestrong

I've been doing pretty well with my food, by that I mean I've been behaving.

What's helped me? Using the Livestrong MyPlate D (Diabetes) tool. It tells me how much sugar, carbohydrate etc I've had and what my targets are. There's even an option to check you're drinking enough water, what your blood sugar levels are, and if you've walked or done other exercise during the day. It might be easier for Susan and I to compare notes there. There's a facility on there to let your friend see your food diary (but not anyone else :-)

I'm going to tweak "MyPlateD" so that it is aligned with the DASH eating plan, and ensure that I'm getting enough magnesium and potassium too to get the most out of this free online tracker.

And as for managing my stress? Well I've been setting the alarm half an hour earlier than usual, and using that time to sit still and just "be" for ten minutes, eating breakfast before I leave for work (which seems to help my energy and emotional state considerably), and read for 15 minutes. I'm loving this extra time in my day ... it starts me off in a good mood. At work, if something irritates me, I try deep breathing exercises instead of whinging ... and makes me feel like an adult instead of a petulant child. I don't know if this helps me or just makes life more pleasant for my colleagues, LOL ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you ... please leave a message here